The mobile devices are conquering the world, and the web world has to accommodate to such invasion. Now, the web pages are being optimized for mobile devices, and Google is the trigger in this process due to its mobile friendliness update. The solution for such mobile optimization is the Accelerated Mobile Page or simply AMP.
What is Accelerated Mobile Page?
The AMP plugin is available in open source. Nevertheless, this AMP initiative shows the importance of users to Google. The use of such plugin makes users happier and attracts more advertisers. Despite the stripping of HTML, the Accelerated Mobile Page framework causes no damage to advertisement positioning.
To be brief, an Accelerated Mobile Page is an open source framework for the improvement of readability and speed of mobile web pages resulting in the optimized user experience.
Work of Accelerated Mobile Page
The plugin of Accelerated Mobile Page reduces the tag manager aspects of HTML code and renders the ones, which suit to mobile devices. As a result, a mobile page is loading faster due to improved HTML code used by AMP. Since the particular tag manager aspects of HTML code are excluded, the loading speed is increased.
Generally, two versions of any page should be maintained: the AMP version for mobile users and the original one, which is seen by typical users. It should be noted that due to the restrictions of AMP plugin, the web page would likely be done out of on-page comments, lead forms and some other components of the page in a standard view. You should be prepared to the necessity of rewriting the template of site to comply with the restrictions. For example, the multimedia requires a special handling. The images on the page must be of exact dimensions and deploy the custom amp-img component. The animated GIFs require the use of separate amp-anim element.
Amp-video is another custom tag to be used for locally hosted videos. Nevertheless, the most videos in the web are the embedded YouTube videos, and they require a special extended element called amp-youtube.
There are also other extended components and elements for slideshows, image lightboxes and social media including Facebook, Vine, Instagram, Twitter etc. They are not complicated in use, however, your web site will require some changes.
Costs of Development of Accelerated Mobile Pages
Unfortunately, such free option is available for WordPress only. The other platforms would require the app development services to adapt the pages for mobile devices. If you have ever worked with any mobile development company, you would understand that the development costs are not the fixed value. The amount to be paid for the services would include the above-mentioned complexity of a page or website, as well as various form elements and other features not supported by the AMP.
Benefits of Accelerated Mobile Pages
The mobile search engine rankings, page views and website speed tightly correlate with each other. The fast load of a page provides the views of more pages by the users of mobile devices resulting in the decrease of bounce rate. The lesser the bounce rate, the more the onsite experience is, and the page is rewarded by Google. Therefore, do not be surprised when you find that the ranks of Accelerated Mobile Pages are higher than of pages without AMP plugin.
There are many benefits provided by the AMP plugin bringing a mobile user experience to the higher level. Here are the top ones, which will be definitely appreciated by the users.
1. Incredible speed of web pages loading. Naturally, the content is the core of user experience, but nobody will read it if it is inaccessible. There is a research, which reveals that a mobile browser delay for 1 second may increase the bounce rate by 8.3% and decrease the page views by 9.4%. Based on this research, it is highly important to accelerate the response of web pages for mobile devices, which is provided by AMP. This statement is essential for businesses, since they need fast mobile pages in order to turn the simple mobile users into customers.
2. Improved visibility of mobile browser for content marketers. The green AMP symbols located beneath of a page display AMP results, i.e., the attractive results bring more clicks. In addition, these results of mobile search engine will cause users to look for Accelerated Mobile Pages due to the faster loading speed.
3. Optimized mobile search engine rankings. The site speed directly influences the conversion rate, namely, the users are more likely to purchase or subscribe to a product on a fast web site. The mobile-friendly web sites rank higher in the results of mobile search. Therefore, the Accelerated Mobile Pages will probably have higher rankings in the mobile results pages than the ordinary ones.
4. Flexible advertising support. Most blogs or websites exist for moneymaking purposes. AMP allows get rid of useless distractions (navigational menu, header image, social share buttons, sidebar, popups and other elements), which reduce the conversion rate. However, the advertisement is not subject to the AMP restrictions, enabling you to earn more revenue from ads.
5. Simple user tracking. Some entrepreneurs do need to know the sources of traffic to mobile browser pages. The tracking function provides you with information about the pages viewed, where the users came from etc. Thus, the users’ behavior can be influenced for the purposes of an entrepreneur.
Cons of Accelerated Mobile Pages
Despite the numerous advantages and benefits, someone can find the cons of AMP. Most of them have a relation to particular features, however, the general disadvantages of Accelerated Mobile Pages are the following:
1. Reduced advertising revenue
Accelerated Mobile Pages do have no restrictions to advertising, however the revenue potential is rather low. This con significantly depends on various factors including the content and kind of products.
2. Stripped analytics
Although Google Analytics is supported by the AMP, a different tag should be utilized on all AMP pages. This will take much time to enable proper and efficient data analysis and collection.
3. Speed through cache
The super loading speed of AMP is achieved through cache. Google saves cached AMP and brings them up when the visitors access them. So, you become dependent on Google through cache.
Despite these minute disadvantages, about 16000 AMP arise every day, causing such tops brands as The Guardian, The New York Times, Financial Times, News Corp, BBC, and others to be in line with the modern trend.