Relying on an outside specialist is an important part of modern software development. There are multiple valid reasons behind it, but there also are some disadvantages and complications. One of the biggest complications is remote dedicated team management.
Making the workflow smooth and even is often hard. It is much harder with coworkers that are far away. However, there are helpful tools and tips for managing a remote dedicated team. If you want to set up such a team but you don’t know where to start, we’re here to help you. Here is some advice on how to set up processes with remote dedicated team.
How Does It Function?
A remote dedicated team is a team of professionals you can hire on a distant basis. Most of the time, it is found through an outsourcing agency. They analyze the needs of the client and the specifics of the project. After that, the agency either hires the most suitable team or compiles one from the best fitting candidates.
The employer then works with the team directly to determine the amount of time and effort needed for the venture. They often take up a management position, so they have full control of the project.
Advantages Of A Remote Team
Setting up and taking a control of a remote team is an arduous task. So, is it really worth it? Actually, there are a lot of reasons for you to consider it for your startup. Some of the most important ones are:
- Cost-effectiveness – you don’t have to spend resources to rent an office and interview lots of candidates to build a team from scratch. In the case of offshore outsourcing you can find people with a high skill level who are ready to work for a lower price;
- Complete focus on the task at hand – the dedicated team usually doesn’t have to worry about the big picture of the project. Having clear directions from the employer allows them to focus on a narrow task and complete it as fast and as competently as possible;
- Creativity and rapid pace – the narrow focus results in a high concentration on the job, which means that the team has a better chance to show off their skills. This ends in a better dedication to reach the end goal and more productive creation process.
Why You Should Employ A Dedicated Development Team
Interested in hiring a dedicated team, but not sure whether your project is suitable for it? Here are some of the most notable reasons why you absolutely should try it out:
- It is the best solution if you need a team for a task, but don’t want to make a permanent position for it;
- Having a remote team that has already worked together will make it easier both for you and for them;
- You can have a couple of teams working on different parts of your startup without any collision.
How To Make Your Dedicated Team Work?
The next question you need to know the answer to is “How to set up processes with remote dedicated team?”. Being in charge of a remote staff member is drastically different from managing someone you see every day. So, you need to learn methods to be an effective manager over the long distance. Here are some of the best tips:
1. Create a harmony with every member of the team
If you don’t know anything about a team member or there is no trust between you, you won’t be able to help them. Having a friendly relationship and understanding your employee will make them more open and will make their work enjoyable.
2. Monitor the team’s performance
Although micromanagement is not a solution, you still need to be informed about the state of affairs. The more you know about the work each person does, the more you’ll be able to help them do their job well. So, don’t be too intrusive, but be informed about the performance of your team.
3. Be sure the team has a grasp on your strategy and is aware of what to do
A detailed plan and coherent instructions are the key to great performance. Double-check that everyone has highly specific tasks and take some time to find out whether each team member understands what they are doing and why.
4. Keep your goals and objectives clear and top-of-mind
Reaching the goal is the most satisfying thing for a long-time project. That’s why you need to set up a clear-cut target (and checkpoints on the way to it) to further motivate your team. It is the best place to start if you want to learn the process for how to manage remote dedicated team.
How To Effectively Control Your Remote Development Team
If you want to build a successful team, you will need many different skills and tools. Here are a couple of detailed tips on how to successfully manage a remote team:
- Constantly ask “why” questions. It will help you to get to the root of any problem a team member might have;
- Use coordination systems to help you organize your workflow. Trello is one of the most popular solutions of this type;
- Regularly communicate with your employees and share information on the most minute changes in plans or strategies;
- Prioritize tasks and analyze the time each member spends on a specific type of a task. This might help you to divide the work among your employees even better.
Working with a remote team has its ups and downs. However, with a certain skill set and determination, you can gain a lot from such outsourcing. By using the right approach and right tools, you can guarantee the success of your project. The popularity of this path is ever-rising, so don’t be afraid to try it out!