The domain of digital healthcare technologies is constantly evolving as many innovations appear at an increasing pace. The progress leads to the emergence of new regulations and specifications. Healthcare providers that pursue HL7 compliance have to focus on a recently released FHIR healthcare specification designed to guide healthcare APIs.
What is Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources
Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) is a novel specification among HL7 standards designed to regulate the electronic exchange of data in a health information system. It is built with the consideration of major industry trends that have defined information security throughout the most recent years. FHIR healthcare specification can be applied both as a stand-alone standard and as a specification connected to other HL7 compliance principles. The main purpose of the standard is to regulate APIs in order to ensure convenient and secure health information exchanges.
FHIR is a certified health information technology standard that incorporates the most relevant features of the preceding HL7 standards, namely HL7 V2, HL7 V3, and CDA. As the most recent HL7 specification, it appropriates the main principles of such standards to the most relevant industry trends and requirements in order to ensure connectivity and interoperability of health information networks. Unlike other HL7 standards, FHIR electronic health information exchange (HIE) specification is free for use.
The essentials of the FHIR healthcare specification
FHIR standards health plans to make the following types of data available in a health information system:
- adjudicated claims;
- provider remittances;
- enrollee cost-sharing;
- laboratory results and other clinical data.
The standard is based on FHIR resources – modular components that can be brought together to solve clinical and administrative problems. FHIR resources can be divided into:
- a built-in extension mechanism that works with the defined types of data;
- a readable FHIR documentation for human use;
- a common set of metadata.
In different combinations, such resources are used to define information contents and structure information sets for the majority of common use cases.
Why is this HL7 specification so valuable?
FHIR standards bring digitized healthcare providers multiple benefits. The list of associated with this specification advantages includes the following points:
- FHIR implementation ensures rigorous and fast mechanisms for health information exchanges.
- This HL7 specification is free for use with no restrictions.
- FHIR integration supports s-service-based architecture and RESTful architecture, which ensures the seamless exchange of data.
- FHIR APIs apply XML and JSON as reliable data transmission formats.
- With a proper technological stack and technical expertise, FHIR API specification is fast and easy to implement.
- The observed HL7 specification is independent of any for-profit health entity, EHR vendor, or health system.
- Organizations successfully implement open-source HL7 compliance servers, HAPI and IBM FHIR, for their health information networks.
- The integration of FHIR API principles ensures better protection of patient privacy and security, which is essential for a reliable health information system.
- FHIR standards provide the patients with the opportunity to take ownership of their care.
How to ensure adequate FHIR integration?
The integration of certified health information technology into your healthcare API processes requires solid technical expertise. Adequate warehousing and a thoroughly-planned step-by-step approach are essential for healthcare providers focused on a successful data integration.
The use of cloud-based technologies is a tried and trusted solution when it comes to the integration of FHIR APIs in healthcare digital systems. For example, Amazon provides its Platform as a Service (PaaS) that can be used by healthcare vendors interested in embracing FHIR implementation. One can also mention significant numbers of open source FHIR implementations that ensure interoperability of AWS technologies and FHIR integration management.
The lack of technical expertise and appropriate technology stack may lead to the eventual failure in FHIR API implementation. The most dependable decision is to outsource the integration of secure health information exchanges mechanisms to credible health IT vendors. A reputable technology partner can enhance this process by providing the following benefits:
- relevant insights and far-reaching ideas;
- shorter time-to-market;
Binariks, a reputable partner among certified health IT vendors, has significant experience in providing scalable and highly secure solutions to businesses interested in using the benefits of secure APIs. We have a proven record of successful projects in the domain of healthcare technologies and significant expertise in working with the most relevant HL7 standards. Our technology professionals provide a broad list of services, ranging from consulting to support and maintenance of our client's medical software. As reputable health IT vendors, we have solid experience in working with the most recent security regulations. We are agile, dedicated, and focused on the requirements of our customers.
Binariks has expertise in working with a broad range of technologies and has a significant list of satisfied with our service businesses from the healthcare domain. If you are interested in embracing the benefits of secure health information networks, contact us to get more information on our services and prices. Binariks will help you solidify the data exchange requirements and de-risk your FHIR implementation process.